Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Updates

It has been a little while since I have posted anything, so I thought that I should give a run down on my experiences in Japan because a lot has happened. Last week I started going to a Kyudo dojo, which is a school for Zen archery. The first two hours on Friday were spent trying to convince the sensei that I should be his student. This was needed because of the short time that I will be studying. He said that it normally takes one year of study to reach the level in which one is able to properly shoot at the target, which is twenty-eight meters away. He said that the previous westerners that have studied there had been under the impression that they could become masters quickly. "This dojo is very strict and prestigious," said Seto, the translator. I was not going to take no for an answer, and told him that I wanted to study kyudo in order to improve my focus, and discipline for my life rather than become a master at kyudo. He thought that it was a sufficient answer, and had Seto help me fill out the application form. On saturday, I went back to watch a tournament that happens once a month between the higher level practitioners of the dojo. It was fabulous to watch the grace of the participants, especially the women. i think that this art requires a calm grace that women naturally have. The sensei's are all men, and they were the winners, but I thought the women had a step ahead in the beauty of the shot. Yesterday was my first lesson. I first learned the proper ways to sit, bow, and pray to the kami. Next, I was taught the hassetsu, or eight stages of shooting. I was told to memorize each one, and be able to bring them forth naturally. Then, I practiced drawing the practice rubber band back. My form was terrible! I was told that I need to breath from my center because that is where the strength comes for the motion. He said that all of my ki is up in my chest, and not down in my tantien. With each breath the stomach should expand without shrinking on the exhalation. This is not so easy. "In kyudo, it is very important to find a rhythm," said Chen, a Japanese born Chinese man who so kindly explained the sensei's words. After that I tried and tried, but have yet to pull the band back without shrugging my shoulders or arching my back.
On saturday morning, I made my second visit to the Elder home, Hanasaka-so where I am doing service. I received the same type of applause upon arrival, and jumped right into attempting communication with my limited vocabulary. There were two young employees there who spoke some english, so they translated the things I did not know. After another delicious lunch of fried tofu stuffed withmushrooms and veggies, cooked napa cabbage, cucumber, fish, and daikon salad, miso soup, potato salad with chives and raisins, and rice with chesnuts, I started giving massage. I gave ten massages between 12:30 and 4PM. It was tiring, but they were so happy to be touched. One lady had an adhesed shoulder girdle, which just needed a little stretching and touch. After the massage she could lift her arm above her head, and was so happy that she gave me a hug with numerous arigatou's. I wish that every problem was that easy to help. Kobayashi-san said that I did a great job, and insisted that she pay me for my work from then on. I refused, but she would not take no for an answer. She even told my school that she would not take no for an answer. It will not be much, but I am very happy for the help. It will be more than enough to cover the cost of kyudo lessons, which is a relief because of the high cost of living.
On Sunday, Dan and I went on another hike, which was much easier this time. We went up Daimonji, which is a mountain overlooking Kyoto, and has a giant kanji for "big" The symbol has many fire pits all along it which are lit during festivals. On the way up we came upon a waterfall that has a shower stall built of stone at the bottom. I took off my cloths, and jumped in, cool and refreshing! I later learned that spot is a place of pilgrimage for monks all over Kyoto to purify themselves in the dead of winter. supposedly they stand under the falls, and pray with fridged water pouring over them. Kind of like the sacred polar bear club, I guess. Later on in the hike my camera broke, which really sucks because I have been averaging about twenty photos a day. It puts a damper on the visual documentation, but atleast i was smart enough to save the receipt and warrenty. I am going to try and find a cheep replacement in the meantime.
lastly, monday was our final in survival japanese. It was long and arduous, but I got a 98%!!! I think that is my best grade ever in a language test. Shit I kyudo right now! got to go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ki,

I learned a funny term this past weekend's retreat I thought you'd appreciate.

kusulu - Tibetan for "town yogi"
direct translation: one who eats, excretes and sleeps and remains on the path.

Think you are doing a good job!

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home