Tuesday, September 27, 2005

First Step in Kyudo

Today, I made the fisrt noticeable progress during Kyudo keiko-practice. Mita-sensei approved of my technique with the practice rubber thingy, and he picked out the first yumi-bow- that I will be using. It is a ten-kilo bow, which means that it is a beginner's bow. It is important to get the form down with the beginner's bow before one can move to a higher tension bow. I still shake quite a bit when in Kai-full draw stance-even though it is only ten kilos. I am working on my form as well as learning how to focus my energy in my hara. It is important in Kyudo to expand the hara with each breath, and when the archer is ready for hanare-release-all of that stored ki should go into the shot. To accomplish this feat the movements between stances must be in harmony with the breath, and with complete relaxation. I have such a long way to go, but it is really fun to practice all of these things. I am definately looking forward to the day when I can shoot the arrow at the practice target even though it is only four feet away. I saw one other student reach that point, and on her very first shot she hit her forearm with the string, putting a large welt on her flesh, a worthy would I would say. I have a long way to go until my form is good enough to reach that point, but I am already showing the signs of future Kyudo calusses. It is all very exciting.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

More news please! We love hearing about all of this.

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home