Sunday, October 23, 2005

Haiku at Basho's Grave

On friday, we had an introduction to haiku poetry at Konpukuji, a temple where Basho often stopped in Kyoto and where he is believed to be buried. We learned of the history of Haiku, the structure, the content, and the translation of famous poems. It was facinating to see how many different meanings can be derived from one seventeen syllable peom. Haiku is said to be able to capture "the expression of a live moment in its pure suchness." Instead of giving you all a blow by blow account of what has been happening lately I thought that I would try a hand at haiku. I hope that they will paint an image of experience.

Walk by city farm
Mud caked on tractor plow
Home in foreign land

Smoke drifts far away
Green mountain of sturdy rock
Basho's grave we sit

Burning tobacco
Thought about life cycle
Rain on brown leaf

1 Comments:

Blogger Eva Hathaway said...

I like your Haiku, and I find them very difficult to write myself. They do pack a lot of punch in just a few words. Love you.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home